Thursday, February 7, 2008

He's here, he's here!

Yep, Mr. O-tastic has touched down.

Let the party begin.

Obama's in town here in the Big Easy, and he's drawing his usual fervent crowd over at Tulane University. I'm not in attendance because I have a job. Bills before hope if you know what I mean.

Anyway, one of my co-workers just suggested we cut work and check out O-tastic's speech. I must admit, I considered it for a hot second, but then I realized that it wasn't that important for me to see O-tastic in person. After all, I already know he's getting my vote Saturday, and I've probably heard the speech he is going to give on television before.

But, my friend's suggestion got me to thinking, who would I cut work to go here talk?

When I was younger it might have been Michael Jordan because before I really learned about his ridiculously bad record on black issues I was a MJ fan for real. Now, I wouldn't even care if he was in town.

I would be psyched if Nelson Mandela was in town, but I doubt if I would use a vacation day or sick day to check him out.

In fact, the only person I would probably cut work for would by Jesus Christ himself. I mean, if the Son of God touched down, well the plantation would have to wait.

But, the funny thing is, I don't even like work that much. So, my reluctance to leave work isn't some sort of loyalty thing, it's more like an "ehhh, I can save that day off for something else" kind of thing.

Unfortunately, that's the kind of person I am. I know I should get more excited about things like Obama, but sometimes it's hard for me to muster the energy. Truthfully, I want the brother to win, but I ain't standing in line to hear him speak. Since my days at an HBCU I've learned to avoid lines as much as possible.

Anyway, who out there in blog land would have bit the bullet and stood in line for O-tastic? And if not for him, then who would you stand in line to hear speak?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny post, dude. Let's see:
*Runs through list of important/influential people*
*sigh*
I got nothing. If I'm breaking from the 'tation, it's to stay home and watch HGTV all day, not stand and listen to someone speak. I mean, I do that here all day. lol. So, yeah, even though I suggested skipping out to join the Obamaniancs (!!), I'd just as well stick to the money-making script: Yen before men ... C.R.E.A.M before the dream... Scrilla before thrilla...or something.

Bernadette Merikle said...

Oh to be salaried at a "lenient" job. I'm going tomorrow (Seattle) to see him speak. I already have Fridays where I work from home and I'm willing to work a little (if we can call it that) on Saturday night to make up for it. Come to think, I do that anyhow so it's like if he were here on Saturday, would I go and the answer would be hell yeah. Long as it didn't interfere with my caucus of course. For me though, it's more to see OTHER people excited about him and capture the moment (I do photography) so that I can show it to my grandkids. History in the making and all (smile).




Raving Black Lunatic