Monday, July 20, 2009

Randomness in the Animal World

First things first, I need y'all to check out this article.

I jacked that joint from The Assimilated Negro, whose blog I visit on occasion. I'm passing it on to you because it's one of those random pieces of information that has the amazing ability to titillate, amuse and disgust at the same time. Please, do yourselves a favor and click on that link.

Did it?

Now, let's discuss the amazing genitalia of ducks and mallards. Man, wasn't that crazy? For you lazy suckers who refused to click on the link despite all of my prompts, the article discussed the evolution of the penises and vaginas of ducks due to repeated rapes by the males of the species. The whole topic contains a plethora of things that make you go "Hmmmmmm..."

First, I didn't realize that rape was something animals engaged in.

I guess, that makes me stupid, but I always thought rape was something uniquely and horribly human. Basically, I figured one of the side-effects of our highly evolved brains was the fact that we think about doing stuff like rape or murder. I know that animals can be aggressive when it comes to mating, and there typically isn't much courting, but I never though of something like violent and deadly rape occurring. It kind of makes me re-evaluate my thoughts on the whole human/animal dynamic.

If animals are capable of rape, and resenting rape, what else are they capable of? How have we as humans been shortchanging them?

Second, ain't evolution a mother?

Now some of you might be confused that I am even willing to give evolution the time of day. After all, I regularly promote my Christian faith, and I have a fairly traditional view on the Bible and its sayings. That's true. However, despite the fact that I believe that God created the world, I do not believe that the world we live in today, looks anything like the world he created. Tt's quite easy for me to believe that animals and humans have changed and evolved from the first models God placed on the planet.

I am constantly amazed at how animals adapt to their surroundings, and that includes the adaptations made by humans. For example, how many of y'all are aware that sickle cell anemia is a response to the high incidence of malaria in Africa?

Yep, certain Africans developed the sickle cell trait as a way to survive malaria and it allowed them to live in areas that would otherwise be unsuitable for human habitation. Unfortunately, the trait can result in the sickle cell disease which is also fatal. Crazy right? I guess when you think about that, the fact that ducks have spiraled penises and vaginas doesn't seem that wild.

Finally, I love the internet. Seriously, the internet might be the greatest invention in the history of mankind, even if it does a whole bunch of evil. The ease with which we are able to find information on damn near ANY topic in the known world is so freaking amazing and we just take it for granted. When I think about the times in human history when knowledge was so precious that nerds were heroes, well it's ridiculous how far we've come.

And those are my random thoughts for today. I think I might make this a regular feature.



Share

5 comments:

LisaMJ said...

I had my face all screwed up and my head held sideways reading that article. Good thing no one walked past my desk when I was reading it Sheesh! I guess we human females need to catch up with the lady duckies! You are right. I look up the most random ish all the time.

Oh I just signed up for g-mail so I think it is bringing up my sig now as LisaMJ. Still good-old Lisa J though!

Deacon Blue said...

Man, and I thought we humans males had some pretty ugly-looking equipment...

Mr. Noface said...

Yeah Sprialed penises is...umm...interesting. It's funny, I never figured ducks to be the raping type. Bull sea lions sure, but ducks?!? Just when you think you know a species...

Big Man said...

Noface

Exactly!

I was like, "Yeah, I could see chimps committing a rape/murder, maybe, but Donald and Daisy? Man, ain't nobody safe."

Tit for Tat said...

Ive actually watched ducks in the process, it wasnt a very nice view. They actually peck most of the feathers off the back of the neck of the female. Big Man, why are you so surprised about the rape stuff, afterall the G-d of the old testament sure was in to it.
2 Samuel 12:11 (King James Version)

11Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.




Raving Black Lunatic