Monday, February 22, 2010

Good Stuff




I peeped this video over at the "We Are Respectable Negroes" blog, and it caught my eye. The joint is mad dark, and a friend of mine even called it scary. Now, she's a punk, but the video does have some shifty undertones.

Plus, the actual poem by Gil Scott Heron was fantastic. Hell, I even copped the brother's new CD after hearing this one joint. And anybody who knows me, (and some of y'all who read this blog actually know me in real life) knows that I'm a cheap bastard so an impulse buy like that is out of character for me.

Poetry is a cool medium man. I remember when I started writing a little of it in high school as part of these two classes. The ladies ate up this ode I did to black women, but then I started trying to cater to them and my stuff sucked. You live and you learn.

Enjoy




Share

5 comments:

macon d said...

Yeah!

I saw this video awhile back, watched it dozens of times since then. Thanks for the reminder, off to buy it now.

I hope this means a second wind is blowing for him.

(I used to especially like his stuff with Brian Jackson, a lot. I found a place for one of his classics on my blog at one point too.)

PS -- if the revolution will not be televised, what will it be instead?

Sabina E. said...

is this the right lyrics? please let me know since I'm Deaf and there's no subtitles on the video...

http://www.lyricsreg.com/lyrics/gil+scott-heron/ME+AND+THE+DEVIL/

Leigh C. said...

The new album of his is incredible. I highly recommend it.

Big Man said...

DIMA

Those are the lyrics I heard.

Jay said...

Punk? Really? I stand by my original assertion.




Raving Black Lunatic